Flaky Pastry Dough (Ghagina tal-Isfoll) Making the dough.
- 8 oz. flour (use common flour)
- 6 oz. margarine cut into half-inch cubes
- 6-7 tbs. cold water dash of salt
- First, here are a few secrets you need to know if you are to be successful making this dough!
- The key one is that everything you use must be cold! The dough must also be kept cold at all times.
- The best working surface for the dough is a slab of marble since marble tends to stay cool.
- Always store the dough covered with a damp cloth in your refrigerator, but before storing it, make sure you remove any loose flour.
- Always sprinkle the working surface, the rolling pin, and the dough with flour before you start working the dough.
- Never turn over the dough while you are working it. Instead, turn it flat on the board (or turn the board itself) clockwise before each rolling and always in the same direction.
- This is one of the hardest doughs to make and you may have to try it a few times before you get it right!
- Sift flour and salt together. Divide the margarine into half-inch squares.
- Drop margarine squares into flour making sure not to squash them.
- Mix lightly until all margarine cubes are covered with flour (make sure that the cubes remain intact.)
- Add water and mix lightly with a knife again making sure that the cubes remain intact. If some flower is left loose, add a teaspoon of cold water at a time until all the flour is used. The resulting dough should be very soft.
- Sprinkle the dough and the working surface with flour.
- Work the dough into an elongated shape using your finger tips.
- Sprinkle some flour on the rolling pin and roll the dough until it's about eight inches long and not more than five inches wide. Now do the steps below exactly
- 1 - Fold the lower third toward the top. Now fold the upper third toward the bottom on top of the first fold. You should end up with a three-layered rectangle. With light pressure from the rolling pin, seal the three edges.
- 2 - Remove any extra flour. Now turn the folded dough anti-clockwise so that the right side is at the top. Roll the dough lightly until it is nine inches long and six inches wide.
- 3 - Repeat steps one and two.
- 4 - Cover the dough with a damp cloth and store in the refrigerator for twenty minutes.
- 5 - Repeat steps one through four, four times.
The dough can now be rolled out to the desired thickness and used for pastizzi or even Timpana.