Great tasting ribs deserve a great presentation, so smoke a St.Louis trim sparerib slab seasoned up with your Memphis rub. You can buy your slab already trimmed, or you can trim the slab yourself.
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne
- Mix the above ingredients well, and remember that you can reduce or delete the ground cayenne pepper if you like.
- For more flavor, I usually mix up one tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce with one teaspoon of molasses and rub it onto the slab before I sprinkle on the Memphis rib rub mix.
- In addition to adding flavor, the Worcestershire/molasses rubdown helps the dry rub stick to the ribs better.
Use a trimmed sparerib slab for this recipe. The St. Louis style slab is an even thickness throughout and cooks evenly. It also looks nice for presentation.
Spray with Apple Juice.
The current intent is to spray every 30 min during smoke and once an hour for the cook.
Run for 4 hours on smoke. After which time Cut over to cook @ 225 for another 4 hours. Producing a grand total cook time of 8hr.
For authentic flavor, hickory is the wood of choice. Smoke these ribs at 225 degrees Fahrenheit for 3 to 4 hours, or until the bone will just separate from the meat. Your Memphis style pork ribs will have a slight crust on the meaty side when they are perfectly done.