Total Time:1 hr 5 min
- 2 -7 oz Cans of clams in clam juice
- 4 thick slices bacon, cut into lardons
- 1 large onions, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- Kosher salt
- 11/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 bundle of fresh thyme or 1TBS of dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 to 2 shakes hot sauce, optional (recommended: Tabasco)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
Separate clam meat from the juice setting the juice aside.
- If necessary chop the clams to small 1/4" pieces and reserve.
- Drizzle a few drops of olive oil into the bottom of the pot and toss in the bacon.
- Bring the pan to a medium heat.
- When the bacon has let off a lot of fat and become brown and crispy, toss in the onions and season lightly with salt.
- Cook the onions until they are very soft and aromatic but have no color, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onions and potato mixture and stir to combine.
- Gradually whisk in the reserved clam juice.
- When the clam juice has been whisked in and there are no lumps, whisk in the milk and heavy cream and toss in the bay leaves and thyme.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- After 5 minutes toss in the reserved clams and simmer for an additional 5 to 10 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Taste and re-season if needed and add hot sauce if using.